We are always looking for experienced freelance reporters and op-ed contributors to work with; learn more in our FAQ page. Here are the current openings we have:
Civil Eats, the award-winning, nonprofit news organization, seeks a director of development to join its hard-working team. Under the direct supervision of the editor-in-chief and the board of directors, the director of development’s primary role is to generate income through fundraising activities including foundations, corporations, and individual donors, management of special events and an annual campaign, and to work with the social media editor/engagement officer to identify online fundraising opportunities. Responsibilities also include writing support for foundation and corporate grant requests, and stewardship and acknowledgment of donor gifts. This position is exempt.
• Work closely with the editor-in-chief and the board of directors to develop goals and strategies related to fundraising, membership, marketing, and special events.
• Train staff, board members, and volunteers in philanthropic giving solicitation techniques.
• Serve as information resource for all fundraising issues.
• Working collaboratively with editor-in-chief, board, and staff, organize an annual fund development plan and calendar to coordinate all fundraising and marketing activities that maximize resources and results.
• Research and identify individual prospects for solicitations to increase donor base. Prepare background reports on donor giving and interests and develop proposals for donor consideration.
• Develop guidelines for planned giving, fundraising, and marketing campaigns.
• Evaluate overall results of fund development plan and recommend modifications or new approaches to support successful achievement of development goals.
• Cultivate potential major gift prospects, develop proposals, and conduct solicitations of individual donors.
• Collaborate with editor-in-chief, board, staff, and volunteers to engage them in donor solicitations based on donor interests, personal relationships, expertise, or other criteria.
• Plan and implement fundraising and special event activities.
• Manage fundraising and special event expenses within budget.
• Manage record-keeping for planned gift donors, assuring effective administrative and operational support functions are in place. Help generate and manage donor database.
• Keep current with laws, statutes, fundraising materials, and organizational literature.
• Write grant proposals for foundation support.
• Recognize contributions with acknowledgement letters and special recognition events.
• Develop partnerships with donors, community leaders, and related organizations.
• Work closely with editor-in-chief, board, and staff to determine best audiences and approaches.
• Develop strategic alliances with donors, prospects, attorneys, financial advisors, accountants, and others with an interest in fundraising opportunities.
• Develop partnerships with community organizations and agencies, as appropriate.
• Explore earned income and new business development opportunities
Marketing and Public Relations
• Develop and maintain public relations to increase the visibility of programs, services, and activities within the organization and the community.
• Conduct in-person and online presentations.
• Prepare correspondence, proposals, and reports.
• Develop fundraising materials to support solicitations and increase understanding of philanthropic gifts.
• Work with social media / audience engagement officer to create fundraising opportunities.
Internal: Maintain oral and written contact with the editor-in-chief, board, staff, and volunteer to receive/provide information, discuss challenges, explain guidelines/instructions, provide direction and advise/counsel.
External: Maintain oral and written contact with external groups, donors, prospects, media, and others to achieve program goals and objectives, manage costs, share information, and resolve problems, as well obtaining referrals and help solve technical issues. Frequent contact with community members including financial planners, accountants, and law firms to maintain current knowledge in the field and to discuss donor interests and appropriate giving methods.
• Four-year degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.
• A minimum of five years of work experience in relevant fundraising activities and a proven track record of accomplishment in this area, specifically in nonprofit news media and/or food systems nonprofits.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all types of people.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, board, volunteers, community groups, and other related agencies.
• Knowledge of accessing and utilizing donor database.
• Working knowledge of proposal preparation, reporting, and solicitation.
• Technologically proficient, with experience using Mailchimp, Eventbrite, and webinar platforms.
• Demonstrated ability in working with donors, volunteers, and community leaders.
• Commitment to the highest standards of journalism ethics.
• Passion for and/or knowledge of food systems helpful.
• Comfortable performing multi-faceted tasks in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
• Ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, and flexible.
• Ability to work independently.
Civil Eats offers a competitive and comprehensive salary and package of employee benefits.
Civil Eats operates a virtual newsroom, with the senior management team based on the West Coast. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of Civil Eats. Civil Eats is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring diverse employees. People of color, women, LGBTQ+, and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. Applications due June 4, 2021.
To apply for this position, email your materials to the attention of editor-in-chief Naomi Starkman at email@example.com, and please include “Development Director” in the subject line.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.
Since 2009, Civil Eats, an independent, nonprofit digital news site about the American food system, has focused on high-quality, original journalism that breaks news, educates leaders and policymakers, and serves as a resource for broader mainstream media. Learn more about our work here.